The 2019 5th Annual Flip Flop Festival begins Saturday April 27 at 9:00am and runs through Sunday April 28 at 4:00pm. The schedules below will be updated with the 2019 information soon. There is NO CHARGE to attend the Festival. This is a Community Event – share the news and come out and enjoy the weekend.
2018’s Schedule of Events below is listed for reference. The 2019 Schedule will be posted as soon as possible to help you plan your visit.
SATURDAY April 28, 2018
REI Activities at The Barn of Harpers Ferry – this year the Flip Flop Festival is grateful and happy to announce that we have partnered with REI, a long time supporter of the ATC, who will be onsite hosting several activities throughout the day at the beautiful Barn of Harpers Ferry, an awesome venue in Upper Town, including an evening program celebrating flip floppers, adult beverages, live music, and more. River & Trail Outfitters will also have their climbing wall on-site on Saturday; while donations will be accepted to help raise funds for next year’s Festival, they are not charging, which is fantastically generous of them. Many thanks River & Trail Outfitters!
- 1:00pm- 1:45pm | Gear Repair
- 2:00pm- 2:45pm | Gourmet Camp Coffee
- 3:00pm- 3:45pm | Knot Tying Clinic
- 4:00pm – 5:00pm | Panel/Storytelling
- 5:00pm – 7:30pm | Celebration of Flip Floppers (see below for details)
Climbing Wall at The Event Barn – River & Trail Outfitters is hosting a climbing wall at the Event Barn on Saturday from 11:00am-4:00pm. While there is no charge, donations will be happily accepted!
Celebration of Flip Floppers – The Celebration of Flip Floppers is a party to celebrate those who have chosen a Flip Flop thru-hike, and it will be a first ever Flip Flop reunion! It will take place on April 28, 2018, from 5:00-7:30 pm at The Barn of Harpers Ferry. Flip Floppers will be called up by class (including those hiking this year), class photos will be taken, and Flip Floppers in progress will be celebrated too. We’re going all out with a live band – Rock Creek Revival – and a photo booth. REI is joining us in hosting this event, so you know it will be awesome! This event is open to everyone – you don’t need to be a hiker to join in on the fun.
After Party at The Barn – The Barn is hosting an after party following Rock Creek Revival, running from 8:00pm – 10:00pm, featuring the Speakeasy Boys Bluegrass Band.
Bolivar Farmer’s Market – The Town of Bolivar will be hosting a Farmer’s Market on Saturday 1:00pm – 5:00pm, easily accessible to Festival attendees seeking the fruits of our local farmer’s labor! Supporting local produce growers is not just helpful to the local economy, but also helps to improve the bigger picture.
Craft Beer & Food Tasting – In conjunction with the Trail & Town Alliance’s Flip Flop Festival, the Harper’s Ferry Parks & Recreation Commission will hold a Craft Beer & Food Tasting event on Saturday, April 28th, from 11:00 am – 4:00 pm located at the town Gazebo park on Washington Street. Craft beer, provided by 2 vendors, and 2 local restaurants will be on site. Tickets will be sold at the entrance day of event.
Vendors and Bands at Festival Central – Vendors will be staged at the Independent Order of Odd Fellows Lodge lawn directly behind the ATC building at 799 Washington Street. Additionally, the stage and bands will be co-located so you can check out vendors, grab some food, and enjoy the music. The line up for Saturday is:
- 11:30am – 1:30am | Ickeroo – playing blues and rock
- 2:00pm – 4:00pm | Copper Canyon – playing bluegrass
Educational Workshops and Seminars will be held throughout the weekend. Please review the schedules below to plan your day! Programs subject to change. Check back regularly for updates to the schedule.
FRIDAY April 27 Appointment Only Backpack Shakedowns – Pack shakedowns are offered Friday afternoon by appointment only for hikers that want a more private one on one gear review. To schedule, please email email@example.com with your preferred time between the hours of 3:00pm – 6:00pm Friday afternoon. If you prefer a male or female hiker to conduct your gear review please specify. A thorough review may take up to an hour to complete.
SATURDAY April 28, 2018
WORKSHOPS HELD IN CURTIS FREEWILL (CFW) CHURCH BASEMENT
- 10:30am – 11:20am | Hiking for Beginners
- 11:30am – 12:20pm | Long Distance Hiking on the AT
- 12:30pm – 1:00pm | How Choosing a Flip Flop Helped Make Me a Thru Hiker
- 1:00pm – 2:00pm | Lunch
- 2:00pm – 2:50pm | Health & Wellness on the Trail
- 3:00pm – 3:50pm | Leave No Trace, Trail Etiquette & Trail Magic
WORKSHOPS HELD IN CFW CHURCH SANCTUARY
- 10:00am – 10:50am | Storer College: Legacy of Civil Rights on the Heels of Slavery
- 11:00am – 11:50am | Introduction to Birding
- 12:00pm – 12:50pm | Lunch
- 1:00pm – 1:50pm | Multi-day Bicycle Touring
- 2:00pm – 2:50pm | Thru-Cycling C&O & Great Allegheny Passage Trails
- 3:00pm – 4:15pm | Women On The Trail
- 9:00am – 4:00pm | Backpack Shakedowns (CFW Church)
- 10:00am – 4:00pm | Games on Mather Lawn
SUNDAY APRIL 29, 2018
- 7:30am – 9:00am | Hiker Pancake Breakfast at the Camp Hill-Wesley Church | A full breakfast is offered for hikers and their family and friends to fuel up before heading out! Breakfast is offered at no cost to hikers, and for non-hikers (family, friends) a donation of $5 is requested but not mandatory. Thank you for your support!
- 9:00am – 9:30am | Flip Flopper Send Off at ATC Headquarters | Join us in sending the Class of 2018 Flip Flop Thru Hikers off on their way! Bring a camera and catch the group before they start hiking.
- 1:00pm – 2:30pm | Explore the C&O Canal from a bicycle. This is a casual, slower-paced ride for folks. Our speed and distance will be determined by the riders who attend. 10 miles or less. Meet at the foot of the iron staircase across from Harpers Ferry on the C&O Canal towpath. Those coming from Harpers Ferry can have help getting their bikes down and up the steps if needed. The ride will carry on in light rain but be cancelled in a downpour or extreme mud. This Flip Flop Festival ride is sponsored by Panhandle Pedalers (www.panhandlepedalers.com). For more information, contact trip leader Erik Tabor at MysteryTabor@protonmail.com or 703-447-3648 (voice or text).
WORKSHOPS HELD IN CFW CHURCH BASEMENT
- 9:30am – 10:20am | Flip Flopper Panel
- 10:30am – 11:20am | Backpacking Food and Trail Nutrition
- 11:30am – 12:20am | Long Distance Hiking on the AT
- 12:30pm – 1:20pm | Best Foot Forward! Proper Care for Your Feet
WORKSHOPS HELD IN CFW CHURCH SANCTUARY
- 11:00am – 11:50am | Multi-day Bicycle Touring
- 12:00pm – 12:50pm | Appalachian Trail 14 State Challenge
- 1:00pm – 1:50pm | Harpers Ferry Local & Area Hiking
- 10:00am – 3:00pm | Backpack Shakedowns (CFW Church Lawn)
- 1:00pm – 3:00pm | Guided African American History Hike (Meet at ATC)
SATURDAY & SUNDAY, APRIL 28 & 29, 2018
Festival Quest – Festival Quest is a seek-and-stamp scavenger hunt where participants seek out certain locations throughout town and obtain a unique stamp (supplied by the merchant), a state related fact, and try to answer a Flip Flop Fun Fact at each location that will be supplied by the Festival to the merchant to ask. When a participant has the fact recorded, the answer to the specific question, and finally the stamp from each location, they will turn in their completed stamp sheet to be verified and included in a drawing for monetary prizes.
- This activity will take place on both Saturday and Sunday, with a drawing for winners held Sunday at 4:00pm.
- If a merchant is not open both days the seeker will be permitted to take a photo (showed to Festival Staff) of the closed store for credit.
- A participant does not have to be present to win one of three prizes and can be notified by phone.
- Stamp Sheets will be provided to seekers and will be obtained from and returned to the ATC office when completed for verification and submission for the drawing.
SPECIAL ACTIVITIES FOR 2018 FLIP FLOP THRU HIKERS
Saturday April 28 | 9:00am – 10:00am – Meet & Greet with ATC – This year’s flip flop thru-hikers are invited to meet each other and President Suzanne Dixon and Laurie Potteiger from ATC. Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Monday April 30 | 9:00am – 9:30am – Monday Flip Flopper Kick-Off #2 – Flip floppers can participate in the all of Sunday’s activities, attend a smaller, quieter kick-off, and help spread out the flow of flip floppers leaving from the Festival.
The Festival will officially close at 3:30pm Sunday April 29.